Skip to main content

Serial killer Joanna Dennehy loses claim her human rights are being violated.

Serial killer Joanna Dennehy loses claim her human rights are being violated


Serial killer Joanna Dennehy has lost her High Court claim that she is entitled to damages for human rights violations after being placed in solitary confinement in jail.

Dennehy, 33, was given a whole-life sentence at the Old Bailey for murdering three men and stabbing two more.

She claimed that she had been left "tearful and upset" after being placed in segregation at HMP Bronzefield near Ashford, Surrey, since prison guards allegedly found a breakout plot in her diary.

Government lawyers have conceded the segregation period between September 21 2013 and September 4 2015 was technically unlawful because it was not properly authorised by former Justice Secretary Chris Grayling.

But Mr Justice Singh, sitting in London, ruled that her segregation since then had been "in accordance with law" and "at all material times it has been necessary and proportionate".

Dennehy was given a whole-life term after admitting the murders of Lukasz Slaboszewski, 31, Kevin Lee, 48, and John Chapman, 56, whose bodies were found in ditches in and around Peterborough in 2013.

She also pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted murder in Hereford and preventing the lawful and decent burial of her murder victims.

Dennehy, of Orton Goldhay, Peterborough, claimed at London's High Court that she has been "unfairly and unlawfully" held in segregation at HMP Bronzefield.

Hugh Southey QC argued at a hearing in March that her incarceration violated her human rights and had taken a heavy toll, leaving her "tearful and upset", and at times she was resuming her practice of self-harming.

Mr Southey described Dennehy, who was jailed in February 2014, as a "vulnerable" inmate due to her history of severe personality disorders, and episodes of self-harming dating back to childhood.

Government lawyers said the segregation was fair, justified and lawful due to the nature of Dennehy's offending and the escape risk she poses.

They submitted there was also no procedural unfairness during her continued segregation after September 2014.

Justice Department barrister Tom Weisselberg QC told the High Court: "Dennehy was segregated because a credible escape plan involving her and two other prisoners had been uncovered.

"A written plan was located in her cell with detailed plans involving killing a female officer to obtain her keys and to utilise her finger prints in order to deceive the biometric systems.

"She was placed on the escape list, which involved the wearing of an escape suit."

Jenni Richards QC, appearing for HMP Bronzefield, described Dennehy as "arguably the most dangerous female prisoner in custody".

Dennehy "got a taste for killing" and had admitted to the psychiatrist that she was "sadistic".

Mr Southey submitted there was unfairness because the escape allegations were never properly put to Dennehy at the time.

She insisted that the alleged plot was nothing more than a "doodle" found in her diary, said Mr Southey.

The police had investigated the claims and "confirmed that no further action would be taken".

Dennehy is only the third woman to be given a whole-life prison term. Moors murderer Myra Hindley and House of Horrors serial killer Rose West are the other two.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A MAN CONVICTED OF RAPING AND MURDERING A 3-YEAR-OLD GIRL WAS EXECUTED IN SANA'A.

A man convicted of raping and murdering a 3-year-old girl was executed in Sanaa on Monday in front of hundreds of onlookers, the first public execution there since 2009. "Security was very tight, because authorities were fearing a revenge attack by armed men from the Bani Matar tribe to which the girl's family belong," said Reuters photographer Khaled Abdullah, who witnessed the scene. The police van transporting Muhammad al-Maghrabi, 41, to Sanaa's Tahrir Square was escorted by five police patrol vehicles.  The execution drew a large number of onlookers, some perched up telegraph poles and many watching from rooftops. The crowd started to shout "Allah is the greatest" when Maghrabi arrived. "The man was escorted from the van to the middle of the square, and then the place turned to a complete chaos and I fought for a position to take pictures," Abdullah said. "He tried to talk to the executioner, a police officer who was calmly smoking a ciga...

HEADS WILL ROLL! GEORGE EADS TAKES ON A CRAZED MAN DECAPITATED HEAD WHILE FILMING NEW SCENES FOR....

 Heads will roll! George Eads takes on a crazed man brandishing a decapitated head while filming new scenes for CSI As a show set in the world of criminal forensics, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation is a series with its fair share of gruesome scenes. But during filming for a new episode on Wednesday, the hit U.S. drama outdid itself in the gory stakes. An bloodied actor playing a crazed man was spotted standing on a Las Vegas street, holding onto a decapitated head by the hair The man was even surrounded by gory onlookers taking photographs of him proudly brandishing the head Luckily, George Eads, who lplays CSI investigator Nick Stokes wasn't on hand to stop the mad man, with the help of a uniformed police officer. According to VegasPremieres.com, onlookers saw a man 'running around holding the head, shouting: 'I want you all to meet my Dad! Eades, 45, sported a black shirt and jeans for filming, and looked deep in though while relaxing between takes. The crew were filming i...

19 YEARS OLD GIRL (MASHEGO) WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE AFTER HER SEX VIDEO WAS SENT AROUND COUNTRY VIA.

19 years old girl (mashego) who committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via,  “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” Mashego Mofokeng from Songanguve committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via WhatsApp and twitter. Sinoville Crisis Centre (SCC) spokesperson Sonja Carstens said the teenager committed suicide after being subjected to cyberbullying. The sex video was doing the rounds for a long time. “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” The Sex Video showed the 19 year old Masego perfoming sexual acts with her Ex boyfriend. SCC CEO Colleen Strauss said the girl had been traumatised, and had asked her local pastors for help. The girl was afraid to go to the shops and her mother ...