Skip to main content

Dozens of the prisoners bear scars, missing limbs and disfigurements from the battlefield.

Inside a prison full of alleged ISIS fighters


Dozens of accused ISIS militants sit in a crowded cell at a prison run by the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militia in northeast Syria.

 The SDF guards told CBS News they face regular escape attempts, and they need help managing the burden.

CBS News' Holly Williams was surprised to find prisoners who said they are Americans.

CBS News saw prisoners from their early teens to men whose hair and beards were fully grey. 

Dozens of the prisoners bear scars, missing limbs and disfigurements from the battlefield. ISIS was hammered for months in Syria by SDF forces and U.S. and allied airstrikes. 

The SDF told CBS News that it runs multiple prisons like this one across northern Syria, housing a total of 12,000 accused ISIS militants. 

Nearly all of them want to return to their home countries, even knowing they could face long prison sentences there, but so far their home countries have resisted taking them back.

An SDF guard on duty at the prison in northeast Syria. The militia would not permit CBS News to film the exterior of the facility or reveal its exact location, due to security concerns in the still-volatile region.

Lirim Sylejmani told CBS News he left his home in Chicago to live under ISIS in 2015, and he's unrepentant. 

"The choices that I made, in somebody's eyes, the wrong choices, so I face jail time," he said. 

But he doesn't believe he made the wrong decision, saying he "just wanted to live under Islamic law."

CBS News' Holly Williams met prisoners from across Europe and elsewhere, comparing the mix of nationalities to the United Nations - only every single one of the inmates was accused of joining a terrorist organization. 

She said it was impossible to discern which of the detainees could still pose a threat if released, or if they manage to escape.

The SDF guards told CBS News they face regular escape attempts, and they need help managing the burden. 

They said if the prisoners' home nations won't take them back, they should provide more resources to secure the facilities against mass escape attempts, or establish an international court in Syria to try them.

Dozens of accused ISIS militants sit in a crowded cell at a prison run by the U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) militia in northeast Syria.

 The SDF guards told CBS News they face regular escape attempts, and they need help managing the burden.

CBS News saw prisoners from their early teens to men whose hair and beards were fully grey. 

Accused ISIS militants sit in a cell at a prison run by the U.S.-backed SDF militia in northeast Syria.

The SDF guards told CBS News they face regular escape attempts, and they need help managing the burden. 

The militia would not permit CBS News to film the exterior of the facility or reveal its exact location, due to security concerns in the still-volatile region where ISIS remnants remain active.

The SDF guards told CBS News that if the prisoners' home nations won't take them back, they should provide more resources to secure the facilities against mass escape attempts, or establish and international court in Syria to try them.

Thanks for reading, leave your thought in the comment section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A MAN CONVICTED OF RAPING AND MURDERING A 3-YEAR-OLD GIRL WAS EXECUTED IN SANA'A.

A man convicted of raping and murdering a 3-year-old girl was executed in Sanaa on Monday in front of hundreds of onlookers, the first public execution there since 2009. "Security was very tight, because authorities were fearing a revenge attack by armed men from the Bani Matar tribe to which the girl's family belong," said Reuters photographer Khaled Abdullah, who witnessed the scene. The police van transporting Muhammad al-Maghrabi, 41, to Sanaa's Tahrir Square was escorted by five police patrol vehicles.  The execution drew a large number of onlookers, some perched up telegraph poles and many watching from rooftops. The crowd started to shout "Allah is the greatest" when Maghrabi arrived. "The man was escorted from the van to the middle of the square, and then the place turned to a complete chaos and I fought for a position to take pictures," Abdullah said. "He tried to talk to the executioner, a police officer who was calmly smoking a ciga...

HEADS WILL ROLL! GEORGE EADS TAKES ON A CRAZED MAN DECAPITATED HEAD WHILE FILMING NEW SCENES FOR....

 Heads will roll! George Eads takes on a crazed man brandishing a decapitated head while filming new scenes for CSI As a show set in the world of criminal forensics, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation is a series with its fair share of gruesome scenes. But during filming for a new episode on Wednesday, the hit U.S. drama outdid itself in the gory stakes. An bloodied actor playing a crazed man was spotted standing on a Las Vegas street, holding onto a decapitated head by the hair The man was even surrounded by gory onlookers taking photographs of him proudly brandishing the head Luckily, George Eads, who lplays CSI investigator Nick Stokes wasn't on hand to stop the mad man, with the help of a uniformed police officer. According to VegasPremieres.com, onlookers saw a man 'running around holding the head, shouting: 'I want you all to meet my Dad! Eades, 45, sported a black shirt and jeans for filming, and looked deep in though while relaxing between takes. The crew were filming i...

19 YEARS OLD GIRL (MASHEGO) WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE AFTER HER SEX VIDEO WAS SENT AROUND COUNTRY VIA.

19 years old girl (mashego) who committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via,  “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” Mashego Mofokeng from Songanguve committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via WhatsApp and twitter. Sinoville Crisis Centre (SCC) spokesperson Sonja Carstens said the teenager committed suicide after being subjected to cyberbullying. The sex video was doing the rounds for a long time. “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” The Sex Video showed the 19 year old Masego perfoming sexual acts with her Ex boyfriend. SCC CEO Colleen Strauss said the girl had been traumatised, and had asked her local pastors for help. The girl was afraid to go to the shops and her mother ...