Skip to main content

A DRAMATIC RISE IN THE NUMBER OF EXECUTIONS RECORDED IN 2015 SAW MORE PEOPLE PUT TO DEATH AROUND THE WORLD.

A dramatic rise in the number of executions recorded in 2015 saw more people put to death around the world,

This total does not include China where thousands are likely to have been executed but where the death penalty is a state secret.

Concern after report shows dramatic rise in executions

​Amnesty report reveals executions rise globally with more now executed than in the last 25 years

A dramatic rise in the number of executions recorded in 2015 saw more people put to death around the world than at any point in the last quarter-century.

Amnesty International annual review of the death penalty worldwide shows at least 1,634 people were executed in 2015, a rise of 54% on the year before and the highest number Amnesty has recorded since 1989.

This total does not include China where thousands are likely to have been executed but where the death penalty is a state secret.

The figures - contained in a 70-page report Death Sentences and Executions in 2015 - show that the top five executioners in the world in 2015 were China, Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and the USA.

The surge in executions - which Amnesty described as “profoundly disturbing” - was largely fuelled by big increases in Iran, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

In Iran at least 977 people were executed in 2015 - compared to 743-plus in 2014 (up 31%) - the vast majority for drug-related crimes. Iran is also one of the world’s last executioners of child offenders, in violation of international law.

Last year Iran executed at least four people who were under 18 at the time of the crime for which they were convicted.

The number of countries using capital punishment also rose last year, from 22 in 2014 to 25 in 2015.

 At least six countries which did not carry out executions in 2014 did so in 2015, including Chad where executions were carried out for the first time in more than a decade.

Amnesty also stressed that in the majority of countries where people were sentenced to death or executed, the death penalty was imposed after proceedings that did not meet international fair trial standards.

Amnesty International’s Secretary General Salil Shetty said: “The rise in executions last year is profoundly disturbing.

“Not for the last 25 years have so many people been put to death by states around the world.

“Iran, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia have all put people to death at unprecedented levels, often after grossly unfair trials. This slaughter must end.”

There were however some positive developments during 2015. Four countries completely abolished the death penalty in 2015 - Fiji, Madagascar, Republic of Congo and Suriname. Mongolia also passed a new criminal code abolishing the death penalty, which will take effect later this year.

Iran (977+), Pakistan (326), Saudi Arabia (158+), USA (28), Iraq (26+), Somalia (25+), Egypt (22+), Indonesia (14), Chad (10), Yemen (8+), Taiwan (6), South Sudan (5+), Bangladesh (4), Japan (3), Sudan (3), Jordan (2), Oman (2), Afghanistan (1), India (1), UAE (1); plus Malaysia (unknown number), North Korea (unknown number) and Vietnam (unknown number).

Thanks for reading, leave your thought in the comment section below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A MAN CONVICTED OF RAPING AND MURDERING A 3-YEAR-OLD GIRL WAS EXECUTED IN SANA'A.

A man convicted of raping and murdering a 3-year-old girl was executed in Sanaa on Monday in front of hundreds of onlookers, the first public execution there since 2009. "Security was very tight, because authorities were fearing a revenge attack by armed men from the Bani Matar tribe to which the girl's family belong," said Reuters photographer Khaled Abdullah, who witnessed the scene. The police van transporting Muhammad al-Maghrabi, 41, to Sanaa's Tahrir Square was escorted by five police patrol vehicles.  The execution drew a large number of onlookers, some perched up telegraph poles and many watching from rooftops. The crowd started to shout "Allah is the greatest" when Maghrabi arrived. "The man was escorted from the van to the middle of the square, and then the place turned to a complete chaos and I fought for a position to take pictures," Abdullah said. "He tried to talk to the executioner, a police officer who was calmly smoking a ciga...

HEADS WILL ROLL! GEORGE EADS TAKES ON A CRAZED MAN DECAPITATED HEAD WHILE FILMING NEW SCENES FOR....

 Heads will roll! George Eads takes on a crazed man brandishing a decapitated head while filming new scenes for CSI As a show set in the world of criminal forensics, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation is a series with its fair share of gruesome scenes. But during filming for a new episode on Wednesday, the hit U.S. drama outdid itself in the gory stakes. An bloodied actor playing a crazed man was spotted standing on a Las Vegas street, holding onto a decapitated head by the hair The man was even surrounded by gory onlookers taking photographs of him proudly brandishing the head Luckily, George Eads, who lplays CSI investigator Nick Stokes wasn't on hand to stop the mad man, with the help of a uniformed police officer. According to VegasPremieres.com, onlookers saw a man 'running around holding the head, shouting: 'I want you all to meet my Dad! Eades, 45, sported a black shirt and jeans for filming, and looked deep in though while relaxing between takes. The crew were filming i...

19 YEARS OLD GIRL (MASHEGO) WHO COMMITTED SUICIDE AFTER HER SEX VIDEO WAS SENT AROUND COUNTRY VIA.

19 years old girl (mashego) who committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via,  “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” Mashego Mofokeng from Songanguve committed suicide after her sex video was sent around the country via WhatsApp and twitter. Sinoville Crisis Centre (SCC) spokesperson Sonja Carstens said the teenager committed suicide after being subjected to cyberbullying. The sex video was doing the rounds for a long time. “Her Ex Boyfriend allegedly distributed the sex video and this was forwarded on WhatsApp groups. The Sex Video started to circulate on social media and porn websites.” The Sex Video showed the 19 year old Masego perfoming sexual acts with her Ex boyfriend. SCC CEO Colleen Strauss said the girl had been traumatised, and had asked her local pastors for help. The girl was afraid to go to the shops and her mother ...